Topic: Anti-Black Racism Among Youth in Toronto’s Public School Boards
APA Style / two peer reviewed article from 2014 on word / one gray article /
Essay Style / Pages / 2 Pages in total
One page introduction to below content. One page Conclusion to the below content.
Introduction (e.g. What is the story of this problem? Include an academic summary of the research problem – the population affected and why – referencing a few previous study findings. Include the geography of focus – the city/province/country (Canada preferred).Please see the complete paper attached. provide intro and conclusionAnti-Black Racism Among Youth in Toronto’s Public School Boards
Research Question: Are Black youth within the Ontario school boards being streamed into special education programs after the spark of the Black Lives Matter movement?
Who – Black youth within GTA
What – Racism within TDSB
When – 2005 to Present
Where – Toronto District School Board & and school boards within OntarioPlease add Introduction (Introduction is missing).
Research question & objectives (e.g. the question you identified from your literature search, and what you hope to achieve with your proposed research)
• Research Question: Are Black youth within the Ontario school boards being streamed into special education programs after the spark of the Black Lives Matter movement?
Hypothesis(es) if applicable (Note: only applicable for quantitative research designs) The Black Lives Matter (BLM) activists amplified their voices and protested following the death of George Floyd on May 25, 2020. A video recording of A Black male being killed by a police officer while in police custody, was broadcasted throughout social media, causing a public uproar. This tragic incident has had an international impact on society, demanding justice. As the BLM movement picked up momentum, they highlighted the implicit and explicit racism people of color are subjected to on a daily basis. The movement casted the spotlight on systemic racism (Silverstein, 2020).
Systemic racism in the education system ….
Methodology (e.g. What are the principles and steps applied for this project? For instance, community-based research, constructivist grounded theory, or longitudinal surveys)
Theories (What knowledge informs the design of your study and analysis of the data? Critical race theory; Feminist theory; Queer theory; Mad Studies; Intersectionality)
• Critical Race Theory (CRT) The Critical Race Theory (Praxis)
• Anti-Oppression Theory
Research Designs (qualitative; quantitative; mixed methods; longitudinal; cross-sectional; experimental; exploratory; program evaluation…. etc.)
• Qualitative and Quantitative and why
• Quantitative responses will be placed into 4 categories. Ie: felt the recommendation was an act of systemic racism, impacted student’s confidence level,
• Qualitative questions would include: agreed with the IEP recommendation? Yes or no
• Comparison study (black students and non-black students) – in order to detect similarities or differences among racial groups.
Data collection methods (such as like interviews, focus groups, surveys – you may have more than one)
• Surveys & content analysis
Sampling & recruitment of participants
• Sample of parents will be a diverse group.
• Post flyers in schools
• Community-based research and data collection – grassroots organizing
• Stratified random sampling: “is a method of sampling that involves the division of a population into smaller subgroups known as strata. In stratified random sampling, or stratification, the strata are formed based on members’ shared attributes or characteristics, such as income or educational attainment” (Hayes, 2022).